Message from the North Schuylkill Elementary Principals:
Dear Spartan Families,
After over thirty years in education, I have made the decision to retire from the North Schuylkill School District in June 2023. It has been an amazing career marked by so many wonderful memories and experiences, especially my time as Elementary Principal of this dynamic school community. For the past seven years, it has been a joy to work alongside our hardworking and dedicated faculty and staff, who value education and serve as models of professionalism in their work with students.
I have been incredibly proud to be the Principal of North Schuylkill Elementary. Our school has been on an incredible journey and through many challenges and changes. Over the years, I have taken great pleasure in seeing all of our children develop and flourish as confident, successful young people. It has been a great privilege, but the TIME IS NOW for someone else to take over the reins and lead NSE forward on its next, exciting adventure.
I am delighted to inform you that Ms. Janel Babatsky (Hansbury), my Assistant Principal, was hired as Principal. Ms. Babatsky has very much been part of our school’s journey and I know I will be leaving NSE in very safe hands. I am confident that NSE will have a successful future under her leadership. A very strong leadership team and an extraordinary staff, who are passionate about improving the education and well-being of our children, will support her.
I extend my appreciation to our North Schuylkill School District Board of Education, the Administration Team, our NSE PTO, families, and community partners who have supported and promoted North Schuylkill Elementary. You are instrumental in creating a rich, full learning experience for our students. Thank you for helping build strong SPARTAN PRIDE within our school.
Finally, please know that it has been a pleasure and an honor to be part of the SPARTAN family. Your children have been a gift to me, and I will hold their smiles close to my heart as I move through the next chapter of my life.
Educationally yours, and with SPARTAN PRIDE
Ms. Janice M. Whitaker, M.Ed, Principal
Goal #1: Fostering a Respectful Learning Environment with the FOCUS on Connection, Community and Relationships
To create a supportive and positive classroom and school environment, where every child feels physically and emotionally safe and connected to the school and staff, as evidenced through SEL practices and PBIS plans, and monitoring data, student surveys, discipline and attendance.
Tips to Achieve Goal #1:
• Establish Positive Relationships. Get started early. Build positive relationships with students and parents starting before the first day of school.
• Clear Communication. Speak their language. Use humor, technology, or other strategies to get on their level. Use Morning Meetings, Community Circles, and Discussion Boards to pose daily questions regarding students’ health and well-being.
• Trust. Let your students make responsible decisions.
Goal #2: Providing Students with High Quality Instruction with the FOCUS on Matching Teaching to Student Learning Needs
To teach all content areas with fidelity and consistency, as evidenced through common grading and assessments, shared lesson planning, and shared communication with MTSS/SHIELD Team. Student achievement data will be monitored and discussed in grade level meetings.
Tips to Achieve Goal #2:
• Utilize Effective Teaching Practices. Use rigorous, evidence-based, instructional frameworks that develop learners’ academic, behavioral, emotional, and social knowledge, skills, and habits.
• Differentiate Instruction. Teaching strategies are differentiated, universally designed, and responsive to accommodate all students’ individual learning differences.
• Set Expectations. Messages of high expectations and care for each learner are conveyed.